Welcome to STAT 100!
Statistics is the art and science of using sample data to understand something about the world (or a population) in the context of uncertainty. It is the science of learning from data. The objective of this course is to improve a student's basic understanding of:
- How to design a study or experiment;
- How the type of conclusions we draw from data are related to how they were collected;
- How to create and interpret summaries and graphs that show the salient features of data;
- Basic concepts of probability - the language of uncertainty
- How to spot statistical issues in the news and their affect on the veracity of claims made; and
- How to interpret statistical inferences made by Confidence Intervals and Significance Tests.
The 'Big Picture' of Statistics
Our hope is that after this course you will have developed a solid foundation in basic statistical ideas, learned how to relate those ideas to everyday life, and appreciate the importance of such an understanding.