Lesson 1: Time Series Basics
- Read pages 1-10 and 28-33 of your text.
- Read through the Lesson 1 online notes that follow.
- Complete Lesson 1 Assignment.
This first lesson will introduce you to time series data and important characteristics of time series data. We will also begin some basic modelling. Topics covered include first-order autoregressive models and the autocorrelation function.
After successfully completing this lesson, you should be able to:
- Identify important features on a time series plot
- Identify and interpret an AR(1) model
- Interpret an ACF
- Identify a weakly stationary time series
- Identify when and how to take first differences